ADVERTISING SPECIFICATIONS FOR METROPOLITAN NEWSPAPERS
Print specification to assist the preparation and creation of PDF files for advertising use.
The publications covered in this document are The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Sun Herald.
Fairfax Media Print Publications do not accept material directly via email. For a full list of acceptable delivery methods please refer to the Delivery Methods for National & Metro Papers page.
|Monday - Friday||Saturday||Sunday|
|The Sydney Morning Herald||Compact||Compact||__|
|The Sun Herald||__||__||Compact|
Newspaper sections such as Spectrum, Traveller and News Review use compact size specifications. Refer to the Magazines Ad Specs section for the size specifications for newspaper inserted magazines such as Sunday Life and Good Weekend.
- Measurements are given in millimetres and are as height x width.
- For type area across the gutter, please allow minimum of 5mm clearance on each side of the spine.
- Mechanical specifications are subject to change without notice. Please confirm with production.
- For a visual guide to ad-size specifications, please refer to Compact Dimensions (PDF) file.
Creating Your PDF
Please refer to the PreparingArtworkNews.pdf* document for instructions on creating your PDF.
*The configuration and settings files referenced and provided in this document are packaged as .ZIP archives. Macintosh and Linux computers are shipped with unzip utilities. If you are using Windows, you may need to download a ZIP utility to unpack these files. There are a number of applications available on the internet and while Fairfax does not endorse any particular product, we provide a link to a widely used, free and open source application: 7 Zip for your convenience.
- We accept press ready, high resolution PDF files.
- We recommend saving the file as an EPS out of your native program and using Acrobat Distiller to create the PDF.
- PDFs generated from within Office packages such as Word, Excel, Publisher or Powerpoint are not acceptable.
- PDFs generated from Adobe Photoshop are not acceptable.
- PDFs created from native programs such as Indesign, Quark Express, Illustrator or Freehand are acceptable.
We print at a linescreen ruling of 100lpi. Please supply a minimum of:
Single bitmap: 600dpi
All logos should be supplied as either single bitmap or vector artwork.
All colour must be supplied as CMYK.
Total ink coverage
Please ensure all elements including any TIFFs, JPEGs, or EPS images within your file do not exceed CMYK Total Ink Percentage of 240%.
When preparing your advertisement in your native program, please ensure that your paper size and your advertisement size are the same. Registration and trim marks are not required.
Fonts and type
We do not recommend reversing text out of four colour images. Minimum type sizes:
- SINGLE solid colour: 6pt
- COLOURED type on a white background using two or three colour plates: 8pt
- REVERSED type out of one colour plates: 8pt
- REVERSED type out of two or more colour plates: 12pt san serif bold
For detailed print specifications and colour reproduction guidelines please refer to Technical Reproduction Guidelines News.pdf
Please refer to Booking and Material delivery deadlines to the corresponding sections on our website.
Disclaimer: Whilst internal production processes may verify that material is within specifications the onus is firmly on the tradehouse to supply material within specification. It is also a requirement of our specifications that advertising material be delivered on time so quality checking procedures can take place. Late material is liable to incur additional production costs. Fairfax Media reserves the right to refuse any material that does not meet our specifications Effective as of February 2013. Fairfax Media Publications reserves the right to change the specifications without notice at any time.